We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
|Flexible payment options||People with credit scores lower than 650 may have a tough time getting approved|
|No application fee or prepayment penalty||Starting APRs are high|
|Accepts joint applicants||Only available in eight states|
What you need to know about Huntington Bank car loans
Huntington Bank — originally The Huntington National Bank — is a full-service bank offering checking accounts, savings accounts, credit cards, home equity loans and more. Based in Columbus, Ohio, the bank serves eight states across the Midwest. If you’re considering applying for a Huntington Bank auto loan, here are some features that stand out.
Basic car loan options
Huntington Bank offers the following loan options:
- New-car loans
- Used-car loans
- Auto refinance loans
Flexible payment schedules
Huntington Bank offers weekly, monthly or bi-weekly payment schedules for paying back your loan. You have 60 days to make your first payment, and you can also choose your payment date.
If you find you need to skip a payment due to a financial emergency, you can make it up later with the lender’s Pass-A-Payment feature.
Solid credit preferred
While Huntington Bank doesn’t specify lending requirements on its website, the company’s quarterly SEC report for the first quarter of 2019 showed that the majority of its auto loan customers — nearly 87% — have credit scores of 650 or higher.
Starting APRs are high
Huntington Bank’s starting annual percentage rates, or APRs, on car loans are higher than what some other banks offer.
Your loan rate is based in part on your ZIP code. For a loan in Columbus, Ohio, the starting APR for a 2019 model is roughly 1 to 2 percentage points higher than the starting APRs of some other lenders. If your credit is in top form and you can qualify for a low APR, you may be able to find a better rate elsewhere.
A closer look at Huntington Bank car loans
Here are some other things to know about Huntington Bank auto loans.
- Huntington Bank auto loans are only available to residents of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
- The bank doesn’t charge an application fee or prepayment penalty.
- You must borrow a minimum of $5,000.
- You can submit a joint application with your spouse.
- Loan terms range up to 66 months.
Is a Huntington Bank car loan right for you?
A Huntington Bank auto loan could be a good solution if you want the option of paying it back early without a penalty and if you want a say in your payment schedule. Selecting a weekly, monthly or bi-weekly payment option could help you line up your payments with your paycheck schedule. And if you plan to wipe out the debt as soon as possible, you don’t have to worry about being penalized for it.
But if a low interest rate is your top priority and you have good or excellent credit to help you qualify for one, you may want to look at another bank that offers lower rates.
How to apply for a loan from Huntington Bank
You can apply for a Huntington Bank auto loan on its website. Here’s how to apply.
- Click the “Apply Now” button on the auto loans page.
- Enter your basic personal information, including your name and address.
- Indicate the type of loan you’re applying for, the amount you want to borrow and whether your spouse is a co-applicant.
- Provide your housing information, Social Security number, date of birth and contact information.
- Enter your employment information and income.
- Read the terms and conditions. If you accept them, submit the application.
If you’ve applied during normal business hours, you should get an instant message and email to let you know if you’ve been tentatively approved or denied, or if the bank needs additional time to review your application. If you apply before 7 a.m. or after 10 p.m. Eastern time, you’ll receive the email during business hours.
Not sure if Huntington Bank is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
- Autopay auto loan: An auto loan through Autopay’s lender network could be an option if you have less-than-perfect credit.
- U.S. Bank auto loan: A U.S. Bank auto loan could be good for someone who wants a competitive rate and qualifies for the bank’s low starting APR.