We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
Numerous coverage options
Below average ratings for insurance shopping experience and about average ratings for claims satisfaction
Fewer customer complaints than expected in the market
Range of services and hands-on support during the claims process
What you need to know about Farmers auto insurance
Farmers Insurance was started in a one-room office in downtown Los Angeles in 1928. Today, it serves more than 10 million homes with more than 19 million individual policies throughout the U.S.
Farmers works with more than 48,000 exclusive and independent insurance agents, and it offers a full menu of insurance products in most states, including homeowners, renters, motorcycle, recreational, umbrella, business and life insurance. Farmers also offers coverage for boats and recreational vehicles, including motor homes and travel trailers.
Average customer service
Customers rated Farmers as below average among large insurers in the J.D. Power 2020 Insurance Shopping Study.
But when it comes to the claims process, Farmers was rated about average across the board in the J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study for several factors such as the repair process, rental experience and claims servicing. Despite its about average ratings, Farmers received fewer customer complaints than expected in the market in 2019, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Numerous auto insurance coverage options
- Loss of use — Provides a flat sum to pay for transportation while your car is repaired, including public transit, a rental vehicle, taxi or rideshare services
- Guaranteed value — Pays you a previously determined value if your car is deemed a total loss
- Customized equipment coverage — Covers costs to repair or replace equipment you had installed, such as infotainment systems
- Spare-parts coverage — Covers the cost to replace spare parts (up to $750) for cars up to 10 years old
- Original equipment manufacturer coverage — Covers the cost of using original factory parts in covered repairs on vehicles up to 10 years old
- Glass deductible buyback — Allows you to lower your deductible to $100 for glass repair and replacement
- New-car replacement — When your car is totaled, this covers the cost to replace your vehicle with a new one of the same make and model. This coverage is available for cars up to two model years old with up to 24,000 miles. Some other insurers who offer this type of coverage require your vehicle to be no more than 1 year old and have fewer than 15,000 miles.
Claims support and services
Farmers offers a range of services during the claims process to help you get back behind the wheel. If you file a claim, you’ll be assigned a dedicated claims representative to help walk you through the process. Here are some of Farmers’ other claims support features.
- Offers a guaranteed repair program
- Can connect you with a glass repair company that will come to you
- Helps you find a rental car through its partnerships with some rental car companies
- Can help you find and save money on a replacement car through its partnership with TrueCar
A closer look at Farmers auto insurance
Here are a few more things to know about Farmers auto insurance.
- Potential to save based on how you drive — Farmers policyholders can save 5% on their premium when they download and use the Signal app to track their driving behaviors for 10 qualifying trips. Based on how you drive, you could save up to 15% each time your policy renews, along with up to $100 in rewards each month if you maintain a certain driving score in Signal. And as part of Farmers’ accident forgiveness coverage, you can keep your premium from going up after one at-fault accident for every three years you go without one.
- Towing and roadside assistance — Farmers auto policies include roadside assistance, which covers up to $150 of services.
- Discounts — Farmers offers auto insurance discounts for certain professions (such as doctors, nurses, dentists, teachers, police and firefighters), as well as for people who own a home, are good students or have certain car safety features. Farmers also offers multi-car and multi-policy discounts. Just keep in mind that available discounts vary by state, so you’ll need to contact a Farmers agent to get a full list of potential discounts where you live.
- Various ways to report a claim — You can report an insurance claim online, by text or phone or through the Farmers mobile app. You can view the status online or chat with a claims representative through the Farmers website or over the phone.
- Robust mobile app — You can use the Farmers mobile app to get a quote, stay in touch with your local agent, view policy documents, pay bills, report a claim, request roadside assistance and more.
- No GAP insurance — Farmers doesn’t offer GAP insurance.
Is a Farmers auto insurance policy the right fit for you?
Farmers auto insurance could be a good fit if you have a new car that you want added protection for. With an extensive list of coverage options, Farmers may also be ideal if you’re seeking a type of coverage that isn’t commonly offered by other insurers, such as spare parts (which could be useful if you have a classic or collector car, for example) or customized equipment coverage.
Farmers may also be a good choice if you prefer working with an agent or a dedicated claims representative (if you need to file a claim).
How to get an auto insurance quote from Farmers
You can get an auto insurance quote online at farmers.com or by calling a Farmers agent. You’ll need to provide information about your car, commute and drivers in your household.
Once you review your quote, you can also buy a Farmers auto policy online. But before you buy, it’s a good idea to get quotes from a few other auto insurance companies and compare them. Shopping around can help you get the best possible car insurance price for your situation. Check out our article on how to compare car insurance rates to learn more.
Not sure if a Farmers auto insurance policy is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
If you aren’t sure whether Farmers auto insurance is right for you, here are some other insurance providers to consider.
- Allstate: Allstate might be good if you’re a safe driver seeking discount and reward opportunities.
- Geico auto insurance: Geico could be ideal for someone who wants a range of potential discounts.