We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
Range of digital features and tools
Higher than expected rate of complaints
Above average shopping experience ratings
Low claims satisfaction ratings
Variety of potential discounts
Not available in some states
What you need to know about Esurance auto insurance
If you’re in the market for a new auto insurance policy, chances are that you’ve heard of Esurance, which has been selling policies since 1999. The company is owned by Allstate, the largest personal insurance company in the U.S. Esurance is a California-based insurance company that sells policies through its website, mobile app, by phone and through some online partners. In addition to car insurance, Esurance offers motorcycle, renters and homeowners insurance in some states.
Range of digital features and tools
Esurance tied for fourth place for purchase experience satisfaction in the 2019 J.D. Power Insurance Shopping Study. This isn’t surprising, given the tools Esurance offers to help with shopping for an auto policy. These include its Coverage Counselor, which can help you determine which types of coverage you might need, and a tool that allows you to compare rates from Esurance and other insurance companies within minutes.
Claims satisfaction ratings are below average
Despite high satisfaction with the shopping experience, Esurance customers are less happy when it comes to the claims process. Esurance came in below average in the 2019 J.D. Power U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, landing only three spots from last place. In addition, Esurance’s number of customer complaints in 2019 was higher than usual for insurance companies of its size in the market, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Save based on how you drive
Esurance offers common insurance discounts to those who qualify, including safety device, multi-policy, multi-car and good-student discounts. Less common potential savings opportunities include a discount off your first-term premium for starting a car insurance quote online and a premium discount if you already have roadside assistance with another provider, such as AAA or the National Automobile Club.
And if you’re a safe driver, here are some more ways you could save.
- DriveSense — Esurance customers in some states can sign up to get an instant discount of up to 8%, then track your driving habits with the DriveSense mobile app to get a discount on your premium for each policy term.
- Claim-free discount — Qualification criteria varies by state, but you’ll typically need to have at least one driver on your policy with more than five years of driving experience, and each driver must be claim- and DUI- or DWI-free for at least five years.
- Good-driver discount — If you’ve had a driver’s license for at least three years and have no more than one point on your driving record, you could save as much as 30% to 40% off your insurance premium in some states.
- Defensive driver discount — This discount is typically available to people over 50 years old who have taken an approved defensive driving class, though the age requirements are different in some states.
A closer look at Esurance auto insurance
Want to know more about Esurance car insurance? Let’s take a deeper look.
- Availability — One of the biggest downsides to Esurance is that you can’t purchase a policy everywhere: Auto insurance coverage is currently offered in 43 states. And availability of other policy types may be more limited. This could be a problem if you were trying to bundle your auto coverage with, say, motorcycle insurance, which Esurance only offers in 11 states.
- Offers other insurance products through partners — Esurance also offers boat, RV, umbrella, life, health, pet and other insurance through its partners.
- Standard coverage options — Esurance offers standard coverage options, such as liability, comprehensive, collision, medical payments, personal injury protection and rental car reimbursement coverage. It also offers GAP coverage.
- CarMatch Rental Coverage — In most states, Esurance offers CarMatch Rental Coverage, which covers the rental cost of a vehicle that’s comparable to your own car in size and body type for up to 45 days or $3,000 — whichever happens first. Note that you’ll need to have comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy to get CarMatch.
- File and manage claims online — Policyholders can file and track insurance claims or request roadside assistance by phone, online or through the Esurance mobile app. You can also submit a photo claim through the app to find a repair shop where Esurance guarantees the repairs, and use the RepairView feature to view photos of your vehicle as it’s getting fixed. And Esurance says payment for your claim could be sent in as little as one business day.
- Robust mobile app — You can also use the mobile app tomanage your policy, access insurance documents, make a payment and even make a one-time change to your payment due date.
Is an Esurance auto insurance policy the right fit for you?
Esurance auto insurance could be good if you’re tech-savvy and like the idea of using online tools to shop for insurance, or if you want the ability to manage your policy or file a claim online or through an app. It may also work for you if you’re a safe driver and can qualify for some of the related discounts Esurance offers.
But if you prefer to work one-on-one with an insurance agent or don’t live in a state where Esurance offers auto insurance, you’ll need to consider other insurance carriers.
How to get an auto insurance quote from Esurance
Getting an auto insurance quote online at esurance.com or through the mobile app will only take you an average of six minutes, Esurance says on its website. You can also call Esurance if you’d like to complete the quote process over the phone.
Any time you’re buying auto insurance, it’s important to have a good idea of the types of coverage you need. If you aren’t sure where to begin, the Esurance Coverage Counselor tool can help you build the right policy based on your personal needs. From there, you can request a quote for coverage.
But before you buy a policy with Esurance, it’s wise to compare quotes from multiple auto insurance companies to help find the best policy for your needs. Esurance can help you do that online, too, through its sister company, Answer Financial.
Not sure if an auto insurance policy from Esurance is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
If you aren’t sure whether Esurance is the right choice for your next auto insurance policy, here are some other car insurance companies to consider.
- Amica Mutual auto insurance: Amica could be a good fit if you’re seeking a company with strong claims satisfaction.
- Metromile auto insurance: Metromile might work if you want your insurance premium to be largely based on how many miles you drive rather than how you drive.