We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
|Range of loan options||Only available in 19 states|
|Interest-rate discounts for eligible bank customers and qualifying electric vehicles||Two years of verified income required|
|Considers people who don’t have a U.S. credit history||No ability to apply for prequalification, according to a bank representative|
What you need to know about Bank of the West auto loans
Bank of the West is an affiliate of European bank BNP Paribas that offers wealth-management services and personal and business banking products — like credit cards, personal loans and home equity lines of credit — along the West Coast and across the Southwest, Midwest and Rocky Mountain states. If you’re thinking about getting a Bank of the West auto loan, here are some features that stand out.
Wide range of vehicle financing options
Bank of the West offers financing for …
Bank of the West also offers other vehicle loans, including new, used and refinance loans for motor homes, travel trailers and boats.
Rate discounts for electric-vehicle financing and bank customers
Bank of the West customers can receive a 0.25% interest-rate discount for setting up automatic payments from a Bank of the West checking or savings account. And if you purchase a qualifying electric vehicle, you could get an extra 0.25% interest-rate discount — for a total savings of 0.50%.
Not available in every state
You can only apply for a Bank of the West auto loan in a limited number of states. If you don’t live in one of the 19 states where Bank of the West offers auto loans, you’ll have to find another lender.
If you do live in a state where Bank of the West operates, keep in mind that you’ll have to visit a local branch to complete the application process. If you prefer the convenience of applying for and finalizing a loan in the comfort of your home, you might want to look for a different lender.
A closer look at Bank of the West auto loans
Here are some other things to know about Bank of the West auto loans.
- Bank of the West says it prefers credit scores of 600 or higher.
- Bank of the West requires at least two years of verifiable income to qualify.
- The minimum loan amount is $7,500.
- Loan terms range from 12 months to 84 months.
- If you’ve just moved to the U.S. and don’t have a U.S. credit history, Bank of the West may still consider you for an auto loan for up to 90% of the vehicle’s value, up to $150,000, depending on your relationship with the bank.
- Bank of the West allows co-signers. A co-signer with good credit may improve your chances of being approved for a loan and receiving a better interest rate.
- The bank doesn’t charge a prepayment penalty, so you won’t have to worry about paying a fee if you pay off your auto loan early.
Is a Bank of the West auto loan right for you?
A Bank of the West auto loan may be a good fit if you’re an existing customer who plans to finance an eligible electric vehicle. It could also be ideal if you recently moved to the U.S. and are struggling to get auto financing because you haven’t built a U.S. credit history yet.
But if you’re in the early stages of car shopping and want to shop around and compare loan estimates, Bank of the West may not be right for you. According to a bank representative, the lender doesn’t offer the ability to see if you prequalify for an auto loan, and you’ll need information about the car you want to finance when you apply.
Bank of the West may also not be ideal if you have shaky credit. The bank notes on its website that credit scores of 600 or higher are preferred.Learn more about credit score ranges
How to apply for a loan from Bank of the West
You can apply for a Bank of the West auto loan online, over the phone or at a branch. Here are the steps to apply online.
1. Click the “Apply Online” button on the auto loans page.
2. Confirm you’re at least 18 years old and enter your state and county of residence.
3. Select the type of auto loan you’d like to apply for and indicate whether you have a co-applicant.
4. Provide additional personal information, including your address, contact information, Social Security number and date of birth.
5. Enter details about your employment, income and housing.
6. Provide a breakdown of your assets.
7. Enter your desired loan amount, down payment and trade-in value (if any), loan term and vehicle information.
8. Provide any additional information you think is important for the bank to know, such as additional sources of income or additional borrowers.
9. Carefully read the terms and conditions. If you accept them, review your application one more time and click “Submit.”
Once the lender has made a decision, you’ll be notified. If you’re approved, you’ll need to set up an appointment with your local bank branch to close the loan.
Not sure if Bank of the West is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
- Chase auto loan: Chase could be good for people who want to apply for a loan and shop for a car in one place.
- Bank of America auto loan: Bank of America may be ideal for someone who wants a lender who offers car loans in all 50 states.