We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
- Rewards and discounts for safe drivers
- Offers a claim satisfaction guarantee
- Pay-per-mile insurance program available
- Average customer satisfaction for insurance shopping and claims processes
What you need to know about Allstate auto insurance
Robert E. Wood, president of Sears, Roebuck & Co., founded Allstate in 1931 with the intention of selling auto insurance by mail. Today, the Illinois-based company services more than 113 million policies and a range of insurance products, including renters, homeowners, condo, motorcycle, business and term life insurance.
Rewards and discounts for safe drivers
Allstate offers a range of rewards and discounts for policyholders who practice safe driving habits. Drivewise is a usage-based insurance program that allows you to earn cash back for safe driving habits in some states. You can get a discount on your policy just by signing up for the program in the Allstate mobile app and using it to track your driving.
In some states, you can also earn cash back after your first 50 trips for driving safely — and you’re eligible to earn cash back again every six months afterward. Keep in mind that depending on where you live, cash back may take the form of policy credits. Plus, you can get Allstate Rewards points for completing safe driving challenges. You can redeem the points for gift cards, car rentals, hotel stays, entries in prize sweepstakes and more.
Here are some more rewards and discounts for safe drivers.
- Deductible rewards — You can get $100 off your deductible when you sign up, plus an additional $100 off for each year that you’re accident free — up to $500.
- Safe driving bonus — If you add this to your policy, you get a bonus for every six months that you go without an accident.
- Safe driving club — If you meet Allstate’s safe driving requirements, you may qualify for this discount.
Average customer satisfaction
Allstate was rated about average across the board in the J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study and 2019 Insurance Shopping Study. The good news is that if you buy an Allstate policy and are unhappy with a claims experience, Allstate offers up to a six-month credit on your car insurance premium for the vehicle involved in the claim as part of its Claims Satisfaction Guarantee.
In 2019, Allstate had an average number of customer complaints compared to similarly sized insurers in the market, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
In addition to Drivewise, Allstate is one of only a few insurance companies to offer a pay-per-mile insurance program. With Milewise, you pay a daily base rate, plus a per-mile rate for each mile you drive. This program could be ideal if you have a short commute, work from home or just don’t drive much. Currently, Milewise isn’t available in every state.
A closer look at Allstate auto insurance
Here are a few more things to know about Allstate auto insurance.
- Range of coverage options — Beyond standard insurance coverage such as liability, collision, comprehensive, uninsured motorist, personal injury protection, rental car reimbursement and roadside assistance, Allstate offers sound system insurance, insurance for rideshare drivers, classic car insurance and new car replacement coverage.
- Teen driver insurance — Allstate offers a range of opportunities to save on insurance for your student driver, including a good-student discount. You can also get a discount for taking part in Allstate’s teen-driver training program, and Allstate offers accident forgiveness — which can keep your rates from going up after an accident, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Robust mobile app — Using Allstate’s mobile app, you can retrieve your ID cards, pay your bill, report a claim, make a quick photo claim, request roadside assistance, view policy documents and more.
- Easy claims process — In addition to using the Allstate app, you can file a claim online, over the phone or in person with a local agent.
- Partnership with a car-buying service — Allstate partners with TrueCar to help policyholders easily shop for cars and get competitive pricing.
Is an Allstate auto insurance policy the right fit for you?
If you’re a historically good driver, Allstate insurance might be a good fit for you. The company’s many rewards and discounts for good driving habits could help reduce your insurance premium. And if you don’t drive much each day, Allstate’s Milewise program could help you save.
Allstate may also be ideal if you’re tech savvy and like the idea of being able to manage your policy and claims through a mobile app.
But if your driving record is spotty, you aren’t the safest driver or you want an insurer with higher claims satisfaction, Allstate may not be the best choice for you.
How to get an auto insurance quote from Allstate
You can get an online insurance quote at allstate.com, or you can get a quote by speaking with an Allstate agent.
Before you buy an auto insurance policy from Allstate, it’s a good idea to gather and compare quotes from other insurers. Shopping around can help you find the best auto policy for your needs and budget. Read our article on how to compare car insurance rates to learn more about the process.
Not sure if an auto insurance policy from Allstate is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
If you’re not sure whether car insurance from Allstate is right for you, here are some other auto insurance companies to consider.
- Amica Mutual: Auto insurance from Amica Mutual might be worth considering if you want an insurer with strong claims satisfaction ratings.
- Farmers Insurance: Farmers Insurance may be good if you want a range of supplemental insurance coverage options, such as spare parts or original equipment manufacturer coverage.