We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
- Range of financing options
- Special financing and discounts available for qualified buyers
- Ability to apply for preapproval
- Loans and leases for new and certified pre-owned Acura vehicles only
- Requirement of good to excellent credit may be a dealbreaker for many
What you need to know about Acura Financial Services auto loans
Acura Financial Services, part of American Honda Finance Corporation, offers auto financing exclusively at Acura dealerships across the country. If you’re ready to buy or lease an Acura, here’s what you need to know.
Range of financing options
Acura Financial Services offers loans and leases (through its affiliate, Honda Lease Trust) for new and certified pre-owned Acura vehicles, as well as lease buyouts.
It also offers a balloon loan option that allows customers to make smaller monthly payments throughout the life of the loan with a larger one-time payment due at the end of the loan term. The lower monthly payments may be attractive, but this type of loan is risky because if you can’t make the last payment, you could default on the loan. If you default, the lender may be able to repossess your vehicle.
In some states, Acura Financial Services offers flexible financing through its Leadership Purchase Plan, which allows eligible applicants to drive an Acura for 24 to 48 months and get their name on the title with little or no money down and low monthly payments. At the end of the contract, customers can either buy the vehicle or return it to the dealer. In exchange for these benefits, there’s a limit of 12,000 or 15,000 miles per year. This program is only available in Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, New York, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.
Special financing and discounts available
Acura Financial Services offers a range of special financing and discounts for those who qualify, including …
- Special APR offers on select vehicles
- Loyalty discounts on leases that include excess mileage forgiveness, the ability to roll over unused miles and fee waivers
- New-vehicle discount for recent or soon-to-be college graduates earning a master’s, bachelor’s or associate degree. But keep in mind that in addition to graduating, you’ll need proof of employment or a firm commitment from an employer.
- Military discounts to active-duty U.S. military service members, including those in the Active Reserve, Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard, Navy, U.S. Military Ready Reserve and their spouses. U.S. military veterans, retirees and their spouses are also eligible within two years of separation from active service.
Ability to apply for preapproval
Acura Financial Services offers the ability to apply for preapproval before you head to the dealership. If you’re preapproved, you’ll know the estimated amount you may be able to borrow and loan term — but you won’t know your annual percentage rate, or APR, until you go to the dealer. This can make budgeting ahead of time difficult. Plus, you’ll need to have an idea of the make and model you want to buy before you apply.
Remember that preapproval isn’t a guarantee you’ll be approved for the loan. You’ll still need to submit a complete application, and — if you’re approved — your loan amount and terms may change.
A closer look at Acura Financial Services auto loans
If you want to buy or lease an Acura, here are a few more things to know about Acura Financial Services.
- Available in all states — Financing through Acura Financial Services is available across the U.S. in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.
- Good or excellent credit required — You’ll likely need a good or excellent credit history to qualify for a loan through Acura Financial Services. In its fiscal year 2021, almost two-thirds of Acura Financial Services auto loans went to applicants with what Acura Financial Services considers a credit grade of “A,” according to the company’s quarterly filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 30, 2020. The company defines a credit grade of A as having a demonstrated ability and willingness to pay, based on a number of things including application and credit report info, an extensive credit history, an excellent payment record and “extensive financial resources.”
- Flexible terms for leases and loans — Acura Financial Services offers loan and lease terms ranging from 24 to 60 months. If you want an auto loan with a longer term of 72 or even 84 months, you’ll need to consider other lenders. But be aware that a longer loan term typically means you’ll end up paying more in total interest on the loan.
- Co-signers and joint applicants accepted — You can apply with a co-signer or co-applicant. If you apply with someone who has good credit, it may help you qualify for a loan or get a lower rate.
- Vehicle protection products — Acura Financial Services offers products to help protect your finances and keep your vehicle running smoothly, including gap insurance, vehicle service contracts and prepaid maintenance plans.
- Flexible lease-end options — At the end of an Acura lease, you can either return the car and lease a new Acura, buy the leased Acura, or return the car and walk away.
Is an Acura Financial Services auto loan the right fit for you?
An Acura Financial Services auto loan may be a good fit if you have good credit, you qualify for one or more special financial deals or discounts, and you’re certain you want to buy or lease an Acura from the dealership.
But if you’re undecided on the type of car you want, Acura Financial Services may not be your best bet because loans and leases from this lender can only be used to buy or lease an Acura certified used car or new Acura. If you’re not set on buying an Acura from the dealer and you want a loan that offers more flexibility, you may be better off with a different lender.
How to apply for a loan from Acura Financial Services
You can apply for preapproval online or at your local Acura dealership. You’ll need to provide your Social Security number, employment information, savings and checking account numbers, and a down payment amount (if you have one).
If approved, your credit scores will likely affect the loan rate you’re offered. Consider checking your credit before you apply, so there won’t be any surprises.
Since rates and terms vary from lender to lender, it’s also a good idea to compare multiple loan offers to help ensure you’re getting the best deal. Acura dealers offer financing from other lenders, so ask about the other options they offer. You may also be able to qualify for a lower rate with a bank or credit union. Check out a few lenders on your own before heading to the dealership. For more tips, read our article on how to get a car loan.
Not sure if Acura Financial Services is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
- Capital One Auto Finance: This lender might be a good choice for people who want the ability to choose from a wide selection of auto brands and dealerships.
- Autopay auto loan: This lender could be ideal for people who have less-than-perfect credit.