3.9

Jan 08, 2018
Great to rebuild credit

I had to stop working several years ago because I have MS. When this happened I had to default on my car, mortgage, medical bills and credit cards. I am finally in a position to rebuild my credit. I attempted to open an account with Capital One but was declined. I understand that I had terrible credit but I thought that was the purpose of a secured credit card. I read the reviews from some of the other secured cards and was appalled by some of the other banks derogatory comments. Many said they never received cards or were charged exorbitant upfront startup fees but never got a statement or a card. That's when I saw a suggestion to try Merrick Bank secured credit cards. The terms are similar to Capital One and I was immediately approved. I would suggest always reading the fine print and most importantly, the reviews of other customers before haphazardly applying for anything. From what I've read Capital One and Merrick seem to be the best. Neither of these cards are for irresponsible shopping sprees, but for those who are trying to re-establish good credit. Don't deposit more than you can afford to pay off in a month or two and always pay extra on all your monthly bills.

Apr 23, 2015
average at best

I have had this card since 11/2013. I initially was approved with a $800 credit limit that was doubled after 7 months. I also have a capital one cards that around that time had a $1300 credit limit. Since that time I have inquired about another increase and was told that I wont be eligible for one until 11/2015 and even then it will only be for $500. While my capital one card has given me several increases and currently my credit limit with capital one is $6800. Suffice to say I cant close it now because I dont want the length of credit on my credit report to go down but I ONLY use it for nexflix. That way its a nice low payment every month, there is nothing to charge interest because I pay it off every month and they keep it open because the account is active.

Nov 20, 2021
Customer service

I applied for a card and was denied and that’s fine but why take my $200. Now I’m out of $200 after being told it would be refunded. If you are not sure that you will get accepted beware of paying your money first.

Nov 10, 2021

They have sent me two pre-approved offers to apply for their card and then turn me down. My credit is not perfect but I have gotten other cards recently and it's not that bad. Like just don't send me the offers!!!

Oct 17, 2021
terrible

forced to keep card i didn’t sign up for

Sep 03, 2021
Never told if I get my money back

Paid a deposit and didn’t get it back

May 10, 2021
Better than a stick in the eye

This is a boring card. There’s no perks. You can’t request a CLI. I’ve had this cars for two years and I’m stuck at a $1000 CLI despite making on time payments and keeping my balance low. It’s an okay credit building card but it’s a dead end once you get your scores in the 700s.

Nov 16, 2020
Excellent...

I have like 6 credit cards, and this is my preferred use card.... I applied for it to have an emergency fund on hand, and I have been treated so well by Merrick Bank, that I started just using it... Thank you Merrick Bank....

Oct 18, 2020
Good Choice

If you want to rebuilding your credit this card right choice. I have this card some time now doing a good job. Keep in mind taking time to rebuild so have to be positive about your credit score.

Aug 23, 2020
Bad company

Got a credit card with them after I closed it they refund me my secured credit. Next thing you know they put a delinquency on my credit after I called them they said I owed them 70$. The 70$ wasn’t a problem, the problem was why they send me a refund if I have a balance with them also they never contact me about it and I got notified by seeing the delinquency on my credit. If you are in the process of building credit just go with major banks like capital one, chase, wells fargo.

Aug 04, 2020

May 08, 2020
Great Card To Rebuild Credit

I went through a divorce and my credit score took a deep drop. I’ve had this card for 1 year and 2 months, use it, and pay it. People have to keep in mind that this is a secure card and for building credit. Regarding increases, I’ve never been offered but the point of this card is so you can rebuild your credit so that you can apply for non-secure cards. This is a tool and if you use it right, it will work. If you ha e this card and need to pay more to add a higher credit, then you aren’t using it right. After about a year you should be ready to apply for a regular credit card anyway.