Credit Score
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders that a credit score that currently falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit score across all holders of this card, every month, for the past year.
Credit Limit
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose credit limit on this card currently falls within the given amount ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit of all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit of all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current balance on this card falls within the given amount ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average current balance for all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average current balance for all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current credit limit utilization for this card falls within the given utilization ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit utilization for all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit utilization for all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
60+ Days Past Due Status
  • info This chart displays the percent of holders of this card that were 60+ days past due for the given month for the past year.
  • info This chart displays the percent of holders of this card that are currently 60+ days past due and whose current credit score falls within the given score range.
  • info This chart displays the average amount that is 60+ days past due for holders whose current credit score falls within the given score range.
Age of Cardholder
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
Sample Size: 1,190
Data Created: October 01, 2013

81 Cardholder Reviews

Results 1-10 of 81Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 9   Previous | Next

Great credit option for those rebuilding Helpful to 112 out of 116 people

What I like:  No fee credit limit increases, free mobile app, quick and easy online payments.

I applied for a Merrick Bank Visa card in October of 2006.  After much credit neglect during my college years, my credit history was horrible with a score around 550. When I applied for this card, I understood that I would be paying an annual fee of $72 devided at $6 a month. Given my need to rebuild my credit, it was worth that commitment.

I have been using the card ever since and have managed the account well. I have never had a problem with this company or their customer service. What I like best about this card is the company automatically increases my credit limit on a regular basis without asking me to pay a one time fee or other gimicks. When I received my card in 2006, my initial credit limit was $600. Today my limit is $4,500.

If you're ready to be responsible, this is a company that you can build trust with. As always, read the terms first. If you have a 750 credit score, this is not the card for you. If you're looking to build or rebuild your credit and understand that you're going to have a high APR and pay month fees, this is the best option available.

(FYI:  At the same time I applied for Merrick, I also received cards from Applied Banc Card and First Premier. Both of those accounts have since been closed due to the outragious fees and unwillingness to increase my credit limit even after seven years with out missing a payment.)

Oct 10, 2013 Reply
Great card for improving credit. Helpful to 98 out of 102 people

My credit was very poor an I recently got shot down from applying for a Capital One Secured Card. Upon reading the reviews on CK I decided to apply for this card. I sent in my deposit and in one week I received my card.

MY CREDIT JUMPED 60 points in a matter of days. I went from 508 to now 567.

I haven't had any problems yet. Even paid half of my bill already and my statement hasn't been due yet. I couldn't had done it without the help of this website and the other reviewers.

JennyEnny's review was:

Nov 01, 2013 Reply

JennyEnny(2, 99)

Review by JennyEnny

Fantastic Card Helpful to 65 out of 68 people

Merrick Bank sent me an application to apply for their card, and they have been phenomenal!  Started with a $750 credit limit, and they doubled it after 6 months of on-time payments.  Customer service is always helpful, and I never get a third-world country for customer service.  Will be with Merrick Bank for a lifetime!

Oct 21, 2013 Reply
Great experience so far.... Helpful to 30 out of 30 people

I, like many others on here, have had credit issues in the past. I went through divorce and my very good credit was wrecked since all the bills were in my name. Yes I do share the responsibility and am making no excuses for my resulting credit score. Well, after going to Bank of Mom and Dad, and getting many accounts settled I set out on the process of rebuilding my tarnished credit score. Of course I fell into the vicious circle - You can not get credit because you do not have (good) credit. I was well below 500 and no body would touch me with a 10 foot pole, even though I paid out about 10,000 worth of credit cards and loans. So, fast foward about 3 long, painful, but enlightening years and I got an offer in the mail from Merrick Bank. At first I was suspicious since many of the offers sent to us people with poor to fair credit are laden with fees for things that would make even airlines blush. After reading through the "fine print" I submitted an application I was offered a $500 credit line with a 578 Experian score. Well I have had for 6 months now and am expecting a credit limit increase on my next billing cycle. I have never had any issues with them as a company. Yes, I am a credit risk so I pay higher interest fees. I pay off the entire balance every month which keeps my interest expense minimal since I carry no balance. I have probably paid less than $20 in interest for the entire year by doing this - yet it is worth it to have a line of credit in my opinion and sure beats some other cards annual fees plus interest. Is it a card for those with perfect credit - no. I now have a 647 (experian) now and am hoping to be in the 700's within a year. As long as you pay your bill on time and do not go over you limit I see no reason why anyone should turn down an offer for this card who is on the long path to credit recovery. I know that without them and Credit One and Capital One I would not have any credit cards and would still probably have a lower credit score than I have now.

DRogers918's review was:

Dec 22, 2013 Reply

DRogers918(2, 31)

Review by DRogers918

Get the card! Helpful to 51 out of 53 people

I  have credit score around 596. Merrick Bank sent me an offer in the mail to apply for the card with a $500 CL, no annual fees, no CL increase fees, etc. I applied and thankfully I got the card. I was very happy to obtain a credit card with a score so low. Now seven months later, my CL has increased to $1000. I always pay on time and pay more than the minimum payment. If you are looking to re-establish your credit and you get a "pre-approved" offer in the mail from them... TAKE IT! You ca't go wrong with this card.

Oct 31, 2013 Reply
Warning! Be careful with this card... Helpful to 163 out of 178 people

I have been a Merrick customer since 3/2012. Always pay before the due date or pay the card off. This month the bill stated the payment was due on 7/9/13. I always pay through my bank which is usually an automatic transfer. Unfortunately Merrick did not receive my payment until the 12th of July. I called them due to a call I received stating I was past due over 30 days! Now by my calculations, I was overdue by 3 days as any rational thinking human would think.

They attempted to explain to me that I had a "billing  cycle" which actually started back in June on whatever date they assumed I received my bill. From that date, even though the due date was in July, it actually started counting up 30 days so by the 12th of July, Iwas already past due for 30 days!  Now keep in mind, my bill date due was July 9!  I have never been late, and many months pay in full, but their CS rep really couldn't explain 1) why I was 30 days past due and 2) why there was already a $35.00 late fee.

I am paying this card off this month and will not do business with such a disgraceful, irrational, and disrespectful company. There are plenty of banks out there who want my business, and I will not give my hard earned money to any one who cannot provide the customer service experience I expect.

I will also report to BBB for other unsuspecting and hard working individuals to be aware.

Jul 18, 2013 Reply

I would say to click my name and posts, then look at my comments on the Capital One Secured card there. Only because I wish I had time to better explain what I'll attempt to now.

People should never pay by their "Due Date". Meaning, people should seriously stop focusing on that date. It's the very least you should paying by your due date. Most people don't remember how long it took to get their first bill, statement, or how long it took to finally have the credit card company do their initial report (first) to the credit bureaus. The fact of the matter is that it's your billing cycle close date you need to pay by. If you get that burned into your mind you'll be soooo much better off. Why? Every month your credit card company reports your balance due and overall credit limit to the credit bureaus (also your history, but only as in updating if payment was recieved on time or late). Most banks report this the day after your billing cycle closes. That means for the next thirty days that report will show any inquirers your credit utilization as of that date! Let's say you go by due date and never paid attention to your end of cycle date and you just happened to have 90% utilization on your card that day. Well, then for the next thirty days that is what potential lenders will see when they pull your report. This is the number one reason why to have it paid by that day. Earlier if possible since some banks take far to long to post payments. They were correct with how late it was, but never heard of a bank saying it that way. Your billing cycle close date was weeks after you got your card. AFTER that, your statement is prepared and mailed with a due date. Your due date is typically 21-25 days after your billing cycle closes. So technically they're correct. It's not this one credit card company, it's any and all of them. That IS how it works and facts are still facts, even though they go ignored. In your case, you're like me and just didn't know. None of us were born with that information but you and others have it now. I strongly recommend calling any bank you have a credit card with and ask them directly two questions. First: "When does my billing cycle close?". Second: "When do you report to the credit bureaus?". The bigger more  important question is the first, but the other is good to know. Last but not least, every since the fair credit act, your billing cycle close date is the same every month and will not, cannot change unless you change it. Another reason to always go by it. The only thing that will effect it is holidays, but that will push them back a day to the next business day which of course is in your favor. Hope this helps, but please do yourselves a favor and never go by a Due date unless you absolutely have no choice.

Danbo777's reply was:

Dec 11, 2013

Danbo777(41, 288)

Review by Danbo777

Top Contributor

All companies (banks and credit cards, as well as utilities and telecommunications) count 30 days past due exactly as you explained it.  Don't give a card one star because you don't understand how billing works.  You decided to pay through your bank's bill pay (which I'm sure tells you it takes a few days) and you were late.  Take responsibility for your actions.

josepaul's reply was:

Jan 18, 2014

josepaul(3, 12)

Review by josepaul

Great for Re-establishing Credit Helpful to 102 out of 110 people

No complaints here. Double credit line after 6 monthly payments - have always paid off 100% of the card long before the due date. Downside: There is a monthly fee if the card is not used. Fortuantely I have a "return to retailer" credit, so it simply deducts from that credit - but would be a complete pain to pay the $3.00 fee every month.

Overall customer service is decent, but I wouldn't say exceptional or friendly.

Because of cards like this, I was able to rebuild my credit score 562 (when I got the Merrick card) to a 740 FICO score today (over 2 years).

Aug 13, 2013 Reply
Great card Helpful to 55 out of 58 people

Got a letter for a $900 limit with it going to $1800 in 6 months, went online and they said yes. No anual fee, also I get a free FICO scrore update every month. Called once for something and got a person right away. So far so good

thegaffney's review was:

Apr 30, 2013 Reply

thegaffney(1, 55)

Review by thegaffney

Merrick Bank has been good to me! Helpful to 104 out of 114 people

I've had a Merrick Bank credit card for over 12 years now since they bought out another credit card I had. Sure, the interest rate is high (my fault), but it has allowed me to successfully rebuild my credit. I pay either pay it off completely each month or pay WAY more than the minimum and I don't wait until the last minute to do so. I've been rewarded with multiple unsolicited credit line increases (now at $5000). I've never had any issues with customer service.  The only think that irks me is the occasional transaction declining due to their over-zealous fraud protection, which is easily and quickly fixed with a phone call. I find it funny that people blame Merrick for late fees and over-the-limit fees. Be a responsible customer and don't cut your deadlines/limits close and they will be good to you! This is a free world...if you don't like their product, don't use it.

Mishka01's review was:

May 19, 2013 Reply

Mishka01(1, 104)

Review by Mishka01

so far so good Helpful to 30 out of 31 people

i have only had this card for 2 months. i am rebuilding my credit after a bad relationship. i have the secured card with a 200 dollar limit. since it earns no interest i am not gonna pour money into it to raise my credit. i will just wait till they give me cli's. i have paid my bill several times a month so far and really have no problems with payments. it says processed on the website after 5pm my time on the payment date. it has cleared and said posted the next day if it is on a weekday ie payment made on sun thru thurs. it posts on monday if its a weekend day. i pay it down to about 10 percent and never go over 30 percent as well. its a paltry 60 dollars but i only use it for gas, cigs, beer, that kind of stuff. my score has gone up a few points in only a month. we will see how long it takes to get an increase on limit. and the interest rate on secured is not to bad. my score as it stands right now is 520 or so. was below that when i got the card.

iand1234's review was:

Apr 13, 2013 Reply

Top Contributor

wanted to clarify the above statement. i paid a 200 dollar security deposit. this is my card limit. that 200 dollars earns no interest. you can deposit up to 3000 for a 3000 dollar limit if you choose. i chose not to because it earns no interest. and having 3000 dollar limit really does nothing to my score at the moment. and after doing research on this card they are one of the few that will give you cli's on card without having to put more into your deposit. it does take a while though. other card companies dont do this for you, look at bernhardtra's statement above. it may take awhile but you should get an increase eventually:) also to note they give you your fico8 bankard score. you just have to sign up for paperless. this is fico score peeps go research fico 8. thats why mine is 520 and not 620 like ck says. again though 4 monthes and still no problems:)

iand1234's reply was:

May 04, 2013

Top Contributor

still no problems. have had them for a year. ck score has gone from 560 to 647, fico8 score from 488 to 598. no cl increase yet. i have the secured card so it may just take nore time.

iand1234's reply was:

• Balance Transfer Regular APR Not
  • Purchase Intro APR Not
  • Purchase Regular APR 17.45%* Variable
Learn More Visit Application Page

Cardholder Rating Distribution (81)

Top Similar Cards

Merrick Bank was founded in 1997 and is a top-25 issuer of Visa® cards. In addition, Merrick Bank is an authorized issuer of MasterCard® cards. Merrick Bank also provides finance options to Marine and RV Dealers throughout the country, helping to facilitate Boat and RV purchases for consumers. Merrick Bank proudly serves over 900,000 cardholders and $1 billion in assets. Merrick Bank specializes in credit programs that assist consumers looking to establish or rebuild their credit rating. Merrick Bank is FDIC insured and offers Certificates of Deposit with a variety of rates and terms to fit your needs.

Merrick Bank Credit Card