Question

Pgetz

Will requesting a credit increase on a credit card affect my credit score?

Most Helpful Response

If you get it, it can only make your score go up because of utilization but it wont hurt your score.

Asheranne

I just asked my bank about a limit increase as well  - I actually lowered my limit in the past -

I was told that it does run your credit for approval - so it hurts and helps at the same time.

In the long run a higher available balance will help (limit to debt ratio is a credit score factor) because that will remain while the credit check will eventually fall off.

johnnybinsea

Yes if they do a hard pull for your credit increase it could cost you a few points...  and I would never ask for a credit limit decrease.  This could hurt your score by reducing how much room you have for utilization.  As a example for my cards that I use regularly I pretty much ask for a credit limit increase every six months.  Because I know if I ever have to carry a balance this might help me.