Question

djong

Will a quickly paid collection debt that's 'unreported' be reflected on credit report?
Hello,
I recently received a collection letter from an agency called Diversified Consultants, Inc (DCI). It was referred to them by AT&T. The problem it seems was that when I cancelled my account, it was immediately flagged as cancelled for non-payment. I'll spare the details but two months later, I receive a letter from a collection agency. I called AT&T wondering why they never just asked me to pay them (I received no payment demands from them) and they said they can't change anything and the best thing is just to pay the debt collector. I spoke to DCI and they said that they have not reported anything to the credit bureau and they will not report anything if I paid the debt immediately. I did so. Does anyone know if this is true - that if the debt collector says they have not and will not report anything to the credit bureau that it will not be reflected on my credit even if I paid the amount to a debt collector? Thanks for any insights.

Standard process is that the debt does not go on your credit report until they attempt to collect from you and you do not pay.   It should never be reported immediately as an unpaid debt if there was no demand for payment.  Normally, I would say to get the agreement in writing that it has not and will not be reported if you pay the debt by a certain date.     As its already a done deal, there is no debt to collect and I feel it is very unlikely it will ever make its way to your credit report.