Question

WallKin

wife was diagnosed bi-polar resulting in impulse buying using new,old credit. iwas unawareWhat2do?
She does not work yet was granted credit by all who she purchased from Total Debt $50K?

Credit Problems

I tell you what.  I was in your position with a little more debt.  I knew I could not pay back what I needed to and so, with much soul searching, I filed for bankruptcy.  It was a jolt to me and my psyche because I had always paid my bills.  I then applied for Social Security Disability (my mental illness keeps me from working - and I am single).  This would be hard for someone who may need to buy a car or buy a new home or even get a job.  Or rent an apartment.  So I live on 1400 a month on soc sec disability.  It has really changed my shopping habits (well at least downscaled them almost to zero.)  Also my sister is in charge of my financial and medical issues.  She has a power of attorney over me.  Has your wife ever worked?  Because they base everything on your last job and how many quarters or some such thing.  Hang in there.  It is not the end of the world, just the end of shopping.  And if she wants to go shopping, go to a second hand store.  There is a chain of them here in Seattle.  Clothes are definitely a who lot cheaper.  Good luck to you both.   And believe me, it is a result of the bi-polar.  I'm surprised you even let her have a credit card.  Maybe take it away and give her a debit card and then she'll really have to limit her purchases.  I have between 50 and 75 dollars per month to spend.  The rest goes to rent and medicare and medicare insurance.

Your Wife

I just realized I bet the banks and such gave her the credit before the bottom fell out of the housing etc.