Question

SirEdward7

Why is my credit score 778?
-My house was paid for in cash
-I have 3 credit cards for years and never have been delinquent in any payment
-I rarely charge more than 30% of my limits: 1 limit is $8,000, 1 is $7,000, and 1 is $2,000
-I owe no one any money

Why isn't my score at least 800?

Most Helpful Response

According to this site, you want your Credit Utilization to be at 20% or less to be in the top tier....not sure if you're paying these off monthly or not, but if not that'd be a contributing factor.  I know as soon as I reduced my utlization from 80%+ down to around 11% my score shot up from the high 600's to the mid 700's over a matter of a few months.

Paying for your house in cash doesn't help your credit - it wouldn't show up on your credit report at all.  Your credit score is based on your credit history - that is, the history of companies loaning you money.  Having "only" 3 credit cards may not be enough - you may also need to have a history of an automobile, mortgage, or other personal loan.  Maybe open up a home equity line of credit - many can be opened with no upfront costs, and with a line of credit you don't pay interest unless you actually use it to borrow money, but it should still show up on your credit report.  Your limits are also "relatively" low - try asking each credit card for a limit increase, try to get them all over $10,000 - but don't USE more than you currently do.  That will lower your utilization ratio and increase your total available credit, both of which should help your score.

Good question. You can check your "credit score card" here on CK and it will explain to you how that score is determined, and what may be holding it back. You might also find this blog post to he helpful, http://blog.creditkarma.com/credit-101/credit-scores/how-often-does-your-credit-score-change/

Also keep in mind that your score may be different on the various scoring models. CK uses Transunion's "New Accounts" model which weighs heavily on mix of accounts, age of aco****s, and recent payment. So your score here may be a 788, while on another website it could be well into the 800's. I really don't care what one website says on any given day, the only score that matters is the one that a lender sees when you are shopping for new credit.