Question

FlipFlip44

Why does it say "joint" if I had a co-signer?
When I was younger, I had someone co-sign on a vehicle for me that was under $10,000. It was on a finance credit card.
The person was a co-signer. On my credit report, it says "Responsibility: Joint". Shouldn't it say co-signer?
I was the primary person and had a friend co-sign.
Or, does joint just mean I had a co-signer and we were both on the card?
He wasn't a co-owner; just a co-signer.

I agree with what you are saying, it should say cosigner, however they would be jointly responsible for the account, but the way it is worded doesn't really do you justice. I am not sure what to advise you here, the best advice would probably do nothing, because if you dispute the info or try to get it reworded, they may just delete the account from your credit reports and that would most likely cause damage to your credit. You never want positive accounts to disappear from your credit reports.

Cosigner = someone willing to sign the loan papers so that if you fail to pay they are equally responsible.  In reality there is almost no difference between the two, just cosigner is the terminology used by most in the auto business and disignates a primary owner.  It sounds like you used some revolving credit card, so they would consider it a joint account, yet the car could be only in your name. You had to have his name to open the card, and since they do not do a cosigning like if you had gotten a normal car loan, this card can be used again and again and has no collateral so they will always go to a joint account, they could have also listed it as your friend as primary and you only an authorized user if your score was really low.