Question

1indianwoman

when does a bankruptcy come off your credit?
It has been almost 10 years since I have filed bankruptcy. I feel that it is time to come off my credit. It is one of the things that is really hurting my credit. How can I get that removed as I am trying to clean up my credit. Thank you.

Most Helpful Response

Just to be a bit more specific, it is 10 years from the date of discharge of the bankruptcy.  However, I've found that where bankruptcies are concerned that lenders generally don't even consider it if it has been discharged for at least 2 years and if you have had good credit since then, this should only be giving you a minimal hit.

It comes off after a full 10 years has elapsed, so you are in the home stretch. Just wait out the next few more months and congrats!