Question

vivaPRlibre

Whats better for my credit; to have more accounts or less total utilization?
I credit history is only 2.5 years long and I'm trying to build it up. My score is 736 right now. It increased to 757 because I opened 2 new accounts but then decreased to 736 because I have a total 33% utilization. The utilization is high because one of the credit cards its my parents and I am an authorized user.They have an excellent payment history which has I think helps my credit. Should I ask my parents to sign me off?

Most Helpful Response

If you remove yourself as an authorized user from that account, your score will probably drop because payment history counts for 35% of your score, utilization counts for 30% and credit history counts for 15%.  If you lose that account, your utilization may drop, but your payment history and your credit history will take a big hit, because you've lost that account.  If your parents are making on time payments to that account, I would wait and as their balance decreases, your score will increase.  

Accounts vs. Utilization

The best way to keep your credit score up is to have as less utilization as possible. I have many credit cards and a few of them are quite high, but my others have a $0 balance. As my others are being paid off my credit continues to rise. Lower utilization shows that you are less likely to max the card out (which is usually a sign of financial troubles) and start missing payments.