Question

desiraev

What to do about an opened line of credit I never used?
When I was young and stupid I went into an American Laser Center for a free consultation. I was freshly 18 and when they asked for my personal info to open a credit line for me I gave it over thinking there was no chance I would get approved. I went home and ended up getting a letter in the mail that I was approved for the laser scar removal process ($3,700) through a Chase medical account. I was terrified and never went back thinking it would just go away. Now I am trying to get my credit in shape before I get married and we start shopping for a home and I find two problems, one student loans (Will be done paying off in December) and a Chase account with $3,700. Do I have any options here since I never actually used the service that money was for? Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Check your records

First check your records and see whether that was an actual credit card that was issued to you (your explanatione tells me that that laser center gave you a credit card, which is in turn, issued by CHASE. However, you said chase medical account too, which was bit confusing to me. sorry).

If it is a card (of any limit) issued by CHASE, that you have had it for few years, then DO NOT CLOSE THE ACCOUNT. Find out if you ever received the card, or where it is now, etc. An old credit line by CHASE is really good. If you haven't used it (or don't use it), then you don't worry about payning any interests/fees, right? This means you have an 'old credit account in good standing'. That's a bonus now when you are starting life and will actually need credit cards,etc.

Just a question: you said that you found two problems- One was student loan and other was this credit. Why do you count as problem? That is a available credit line (and not an unpaid balance), right? Just trying to understand...