Question

mandyhammer

What score do I need to track the most?
I'm trying to rebuild my credit. I went to my bank with scores of 533 transunion and 524 equilfax. To get a secured card. Well they ended up denying me saying my equilfax score was 511. I figured with transunion being the highest they'd check that one. I'm new to the credit thing. I never paid attention to it but now I'm trying to rebuild it so I can eventually buy my first house. So my question is what score should I track the most and should I watch it here on ck or should I pay the $15 a mo and watch myfico for equilfax? I know I need to get a secured card but I doubt I'll be able to if my own bank wouldn't give me one.

You should track all that you can,  BUT WOULD NEVER PAY ANYONE TO GET A SCORE!  ( thats just me )

You have lots of work ahead of you if your Vantage Scores here are 533 and 524. 
You need to Work on Fixing whatever it is that is keeping your score that Low before you go looking for a secured card.

thehammer12

Why should fix his credit "before" you go looking for a secured card? I know a secured card is a rebuilding card and all but if fixing it was needed before hand then there would be no reason to get a secured card.  Fixing credit is of course the priority here but nothing wrong with getting a secured card while fixing it. 

Its a rebuilding and helpful card for people that cant get unsecured cards due to no credit or new credit or bad credit.

icuhowie

With Vantage Scores of 533 and 524 there would seem to be something very negitive on the Credit Reports.   If I was looking at the application for someone that had that low of a score ( and I am sure the FICO models and other Models like New Account Score would have the same or lower score ) would not deny a secured credit card.  

People need to take responsibility for the bad information on their Credit Report and Fix it. 

Your Credit report is a reflection of how you handle ( or mishandle ) money.

If it looks really bad ( and thats how I see the scores above ) then they will deny. 

Clean up the Credit report ( your credit History ) to the point on how you want the lenders to see you then apply you will have a MUCH Better chance of getting approved.