Question

3DWolff

What is up with "My Recommendations"? Doesn't work!@
I signed up for CK, and got to the first page...no problem, looks good. then searching around, I see "My recommendations" and I think Great! they have an awesome suggestion for a credit card to apply for which they recommend that I apply for to do bal transfers on my others, at a 0 % interest rate.
I do that all the time, and so I am up for it and read the details for Discover card, sounds good. Well the thing that bothers me the most about CK is that they not only encourage you by stating it is a "recommendation" in my personal financial situation, but it is the best recommendation, and i have a very, very good chance of getting approved for this card!
I trusted their recommendation, and applied. Within minutes, i was denied!
Well Sh@#!!~! I am not trusting this site again. It is just here to show you a credit number score, and get you to apply for more credit cards (their sponsors and advertisers, moneymakers) by doing so, I just took another hard hit to my credit score, which I thought was worth it because CK (and I thought it's reputation, made it worthwhile and justifiable to me to apply..)
Very disappointing.
Anyone have any feedback or experience with this as well..I welcome it.
Thank you,
Patti

Most Helpful Response

Credit Karma is FREE to us, right?  But it does cost money to set up and maintain an Internet site.  So, doesn't it make sense that, for Credit Karma to be free for us, SOMEONE is generously paying the fees to keep it on line? 

That "someone" or group of someones is the sponsors of this site and those are the credit card companies who make their recommendations based on your Credit Karma score.  But that score is based only on some information provided by Transunion, which is only one of the three credit bureaus.  Any of the credit card companies may consult with one of the other two bureaus and base their approval on that information.

I've used the information on this site to successfully apply for a consolidation credit card, but I only did so after utilizing the financial tools that showed this might be a good idea, not on the recommendations of the "sponsors" of this site.  Any time they can get a new card member, they can make money and recover some of the expense of sponsoring this site and any others they may sponsor.

Credit Karma is here to teach people how credit works and how to improve theirs, which is necessary knowledge in today's world.  I read the articles here and used the financial tools before making my decision to consolidate my cards and did not go with a recommended card but with one from my credit union because of being more comfortable with their policies and the recommendations made by other members "balance transfer" cards.