Question

monarchmoon86

What is the first step to help rebuild my credit? is it to pay off all collections?
I have 19 collections that total a little bit over $10,000, one garnishment, and I did recently receive a secured credit card with a $250 limit. I want to be able to get my score up to a 700 at least. what should I do first?

Most Helpful Response

If the collection accounts are fairly new, you may want to see if they are willing to work out something with you, preferably where they will agree in writing to delete the account once paid (for whatever amount you both agree on).  Any unpaid collections will fall off your record 7 years from the date they went delinquent.  If you pay them off without a "Pay Per Delete" agreement, then they will stay on your report for 7 years from date it is paid off, although that hurts less.  The older a bad account is, the less damage it does to your score.  Without seeing your full report it is hard to say what to do first, but getting the card was a smart start.  Visit www.credit.about.com for advice for your specific situation.  Best of luck!

monarchmoon86

So if a debt falls off after 7 years and since the debtor can still try to collect a debt, can it be listed in the credit report again?

Large Balances

I have some debt not listed on my credit report. I want to know, if the large amounts listed on my credit report, should I pay those balances first, like anything over $1,000 or more?, then begin to pay the lower balances while still paying on the low balances not listed on my report?

Hey give these guys a call Credit Pros 1-877-235-0324 they can help.