Question

MkMk8854

what is a thin file
How do I get a report from this situation

Most Helpful Response

A "thin file" means you have little or no credit, so they are unable to provide a credit score.  You need to get some credit and use it responsibly.  Credit cards (secured card if you can't qualify for a regular one), personal loans, etc.  Start getting some credit and  your situation will improve.  Visit www.credit.about.com for more tips.  Best of luck!

kisatiger

i dont even understand this answer. i graduated hs with a special diploma. just got my first credit card

KarmaSB7

Hi Addison170, thank you for your response here.

I have been working outside the US for over 5 years, but have been paying off my student loans diligently every month every year through my parent's bank account (I cancelled my bank accounts b/c I wasn't using it).  

Still, for some strange reason, it still says I have a thin file.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

You can get your free full credit report from Credit Karma at https://www.creditkarma.com/myfinances/creditreport. Keep in mind that a credit report is a summary of your credit history. It does not include a score.

What's a thin file?

I don't understand (thin file) my husband and I purchased 2 new cars which are in both of our names so we could build our credit. My husband is able to see his score but mine says thin file. I've used this app in the past and saw my score about 2 years ago. But now it's saying thin file?! Please help me understand. Thank you. I'm needing to know we are planning on purchasing a new home in a couple of weeks. So this is very important.