Question

MGS1206

What is a median APR for a used car if you have no credit at all?
What is a decent APR for a car loan on a used car if you have no credit whatsoever? And if you have no credit, does it effect my "credit score" negatively every time a dealership runs my credit, whether I'm approved or not?

Caution needed.

When one does not have a good credit score, they are more likely to fall prey to financing that is outrageously expensive (high interest rates) or not able to get a vehicle at all.   You may wish to speaks with a loan officer at your bank or credit union to see what would be affordable for you.  Having a pre-approved loan available would give your the means of negotiating a doable price on a vehicle.  Every time a dealership runs your credit, it places a hard inquiry on your report and that can impact your credit score for a year if too many show up.  That's why I recommend getting a pre-approval before shopping.

Should there currently be no loans available, try saving up for a vehicle.  Cash in hand works very well when a dealer wants to sell a car.  I couldn't get a loan 8 years ago whan I bought my car, but had sold my house and still had some of that left.  The vehicle was almost $3000 more than what I had set as my high limit and, since I was willing to walk away without buying, they went with it.  Still tried financing (they can get losts of money that way) but it wasn't going to happen, so I got a good used vehicle I'm still driving at a price I could afford.

Never give up.