Question

kterbug

What can/should I do about medical bills in collections from before I could get health insurance?
Thanks to pre-existing conditions, I was unable to get any health insurance and have many medical bills in collections. They are from 2010-2013 and all of them total less than $5000. I might be able to start paying on them, but I am curious if it would be worth it to put money into them.
Thanks for any suggestions/advice

Well the fall off dates will be 2017-2020 for accounts from 2010-2013 (7 year reporting time for negative accounts). What I would do if I were to pay them would be to start with the accounts that won't fall off until 2020. Start with the later accounts with the lowest balances and go from there. Do some research on "pay for delete". You want to get the accounts completely removed and not just marked as paid, as collections marked as paid are just as bad as unpaid ones scoring wise. Of course paid accounts do look better under manual review, but any collection is bad. Sometimes it is possible to contact the original service provider and ask them to pull the account back from collections in exchange for your payment in full. "Pay for Delete Agreements" are usually only achieved when you have the money to pay in full, but different creditors/collectors may agree to different terms. Do some reading on "pay for delete agreements" before you proceed.