Question

nbarr7655

Was asked odd questions by Discover, is this normal?
I applied for the "Discover It" card and was called on the phone. The address I gave them was different from that on my license (my mistake). After clearing it up with a rep on the phone he asked me some multiple choice questions that I was able to easily answer. They were questions only myself would know. Is this normal? Has anyone else had this? He said it was to speed up the process and for account security. Thanks!

Security questions.

While I do not have (nor do I want) a Discover card, the questions you were asked were to double check that you are whom you claim to be.  These days, far too many people have been the victims of identity theft, which is why creditors (and credit bureaus BTW) will ask questions that only you can answer.  Be glad they did.  I've had CSRs at the bank ask different questions of me when I call for info on my account and really had lots of questions when asking about my Dad's accounts when I was caring for him after his stroke.

So, don't be too surprised when you might get the "third degree" on banks and credit cards when YOU call.  But, become very non-cooperative if someone calls you and asks for personal information.  That's a scammer.  Bad!!