Question

Jdog121673

Valaditation letter
I recently wrote to common wealth finance (collection agency) a valaditation letter for a collection on my report. I do believe it's over 7 years old and they sent back a letter stating I can clear this account with a 25% discount and I have 30 days to write them to valadate it. But it doesn't have the date on it. It does have their account number and who the original creditor is. What do I do at this point? Do I write them another letter saying I need the date? Please help

Is the account older than seven years or not? If it is, notify the credit bureaus. As far as settling this account, legally you are probably off of the hook as the "statute of limitations" to be sued for this kind of debt has expired (look it up for your state to be sure). You are very wise for wanting it dated, I agree that is a must. Also be very careful as to how everything is worded, debt collectors can be tricky. Also do some reading on the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) as it may be helpful to you.