Question

srm123654

Thin file but still worried about identity theft
I tried to check my credit using annualcreditreport.com and got error messages from all 3 companies. They won't give me a report, but one company did get so far as to ask me some questions before it locked me out and told me to send them a letter and $20. It asked about a mortgage from 2011 and a store credit card from the same year. I'm only newly 18 and in 2011 I would have been 14. You're seeing the problem here I'm sure. I'm worried sick that my identity was stolen before I even got a chance to use it myself. Nothing bad shows up on my creditkarma report but could someone with more knowledge on this help me?

The security questions are all kinds of different questions and some may not even relate to you, that could be the case and if it is then you have nothing to worry about. The best thing that you can do is to contact the credit bureaus and try to find out what is going on. If no strange accounts are showing on your Equifax or Transunion reports on here then you are probably ok. All of the credit bureaus (Transunion, Equifax and Experian) have websites with info on how to contact them. I am not sure why one of them was requesting that you send them twenty dollars.