Question

ampw3612

Student loans are in deferment, what can I do to raise low credit score?
I took a three year break from college, during which my student loans came out of deferment, and I did a terrible job of making payments. I also had a credit card from Capitol One with a $300 limit that I didn't make payments on, and the account has long since been closed and sent to collections (I don't even get communications from them looking for payments anymore, maybe because it has been so long?)

Now I'm back in school, and my student loans have been deferred again. Since the deferrment in August my TransUnion score has gone up from 531 to 552, and seems to regularly go up bit by bit.

I plan on trying to track down the debt I owe from that old Capitol One card so I can pay it off.

But other than that, I don't know what else I should be doing, since I have no other open lines of credit. I'm thinking of getting a secured credit card with my tax return and some money I save up. Is there a certain limit I should be shooting for? Is there anything else I can do to help my credit score go up?

The good thing is you are not in default

I would start by making small payments on your student loans since it will show you are doing something which they will reflect your credit score and reports. Also a secured card from One Sky or your bank would also be a great start. Start small with like a $200-300 limit and don't use more than 20-30% of the limit and then pay it off in full before the due date. That will make your credit score increase in a matter of months. I would also take out another line of credit like a car loan or cell phone (contract not prepaid) to help your credit history and file become larger. Assuming you need a car or phone that is. Did you pull your credit reports from all three CB's?