Posted in Taxes

state lien and job search? (OHIO)
I had a tax lien filed against me in Ohio back in January for not having filed state taxes: $968, most of which was the fine. Never notified of the lien (crossed wires, I think). Paid off every penny of the $500 actually owed the minute I saw it, now a week ago. I imagine it's a busy week there in state tax land, but I'm panicking hard about the letter getting to me so I can get it released. I have been unemployed for about a year, have six job interviews done, and I'm worried it will turn up on a background check (was laid off after ten years teaching college). Could get a job offer as soon as Friday :/

I was laid off back in May, and at that point ***for the peace of mind*** made a really systematic effort to undo years of stupid behavior, including pay off small amounts in years I didn't file. I'm someone who has basically no debt and no credit ... I'm down to paying off my last hospital bill that's in collections. Never owed over $3000 at a time, including taxes. Then my sixth sense tells me to check and this lien turns up. Credit check may not even be run for these jobs, plan is never to borrow another cent, so all I really want for my credit report is for everything to show as paid. However, showing a lien is just embarrassing. Panicking about it being a barrier to reemploying now that the light is at the end of the tunnel. And of course--renting. If anyone has had a lien of this nature discharged, especially in Ohio, I'd appreciate any input. Ditto if anyone has thoughts about the lien showing up in a background check for this type of job. Thank You so much if you read any of this! M.