Question

Rumfoord4

Should I file bankruptcy and have $35k in debt discharged, or take a loan from a family member?
After planning on filing Chapter 7 and getting a lawyer, a family member has offered to take out a line of credit on their house to consolidate my debts. Should I go ahead with the bankruptcy and have my $35k in debt discharged, or take the loan and pay $400 a month for the next 10 years instead?
Never been late on a payment, don't own a home or anything, I'm 30 years old

Most Helpful Response

Do the bankruptcy without question. It is obvious that you have problems paying bills. Your family member is extremely foolish to put their house on the line in hopes of you making the payments. I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but it is usually best to not sugarcoat things especially when someone is putting their house on the line. Even if you feel that you are responsible enough now to make the payments on time, do NOT do it, because you never know what the future may bring. In addition to what has been said, you really should tell your family member the dangers of making offers like this, this is honestly one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. If you are 30 years old, it is time that you take responsibility for your own life. Please do not take your family members offer, if they love you enough to make the offer, I hope that you love them enough to refuse it and to educate them on the dangers of making such offers.