Question

hiphapa

Should I close my Macy's account now that it's paid off?
I have a total of 6 CC's including Macy's which now has a 0 balance. With my other 5 major cards, my utilization is 80%. I was wondering if I close the Macy's card, would it help or hurt my overall credit score? I've had it since 2008, 6 years now.

Most Helpful Response

Closing the account would push your utilization even higher, which is already having a negative impact on your score at 80%.  Unless most of your accounts are older, it would also lessen your average age of open credit, also hurting your score.

Best advice, don't close it, unless you don't trust yourself to keep the balance low.  Tuck it away in a safe place, and use it sparingly at least every few months to keep it active.

You'll lose that available credit and shorten your credit history, so NO.  Just work on getting all of your cards paid in full and keep utilization below 20%.  Read the articles on left side of page. You will learn, which is what this site is for.