Question

Astaldo711

Responsibility for leaking UST after bankruptcy
My wife and I filed for bankruptcy about 5 years ago. Everything was discharged in a chapter 7. One of the things that lead to this decision was our oil tank was found to be leaking. I submitted the application to NJ epa to get money from a fund to pay for it. We filed for bankruptcy before anything came through. Now, years later I get a letter saying money is available from the fund. I asked the company if they did the work and was told that they started it but stopped when everything fell apart (the bankruptcy). Am I still liable for this work because it's an environmental issue or does the company have to do the work without getting paid? We no longer live in the house, not since 2011 but technically still own it as it is in pre foreclosure.

This is a very complicated issue. You really need to speak to a real estate attorney. 

Why would the company have to do the work without getting paid? This is the USA right? Companies cannot be forced to work for free unless they were found liable for something. As already advised, you better speak to an attorney about this matter. What gets me, is if the EPA was worried about this, why did they let the contamination sit for so long?