Question

Credithelp1443

Removing old Medical Debt from Credit Report
Hello- I have an old (4 year) medical debt appearing on my credit report which I would like to pay in full in hopes of having the remarks removed from my credit report. Has anyone had any experience or guidance they can offer as to how they have handled an old medical debt?

I have already tried calling the medical center where the debt originated inquiring if I paid them in full , $1443, if they would call the collection agency and have the account removed from collection, however they said they are not able to do so.

Further I have read do not contact the collection agency unless it is through certified mail asking for the account to be paid for deletion. I am concerned about making one wrong mistake and the 7 year time period starting again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it is time to face my 4 year old mistake.

Thanks!

Most Helpful Response

They cannot restart the seven year reporting clock, if they do, they are in violation. Consider recording a verbal agreement over the phone, just be ready to pay in full. Do all the reading that you can on PAY FOR DELETE AGREEMENTS before you proceed.

Credithelp1443

Thank you for the response! 

I've read good and bad comments regarding a pay for deletion, but I am willing to pay in full and was not even thinking of a settlement just to make it an easier transaction with the CA. 

Hoping all goes well!