Question

simpleccs

Recommend Bankruptcy or Not.
I have some credit account that went South after me and my ex lost our jobs. That was 12 years ago. I have since divorced and remarried and I am having issues with getting my name (co signed) on those old account. I am considering Bankruptcy but I do not want this to affect my spouse. I have tried working with creditors and non will work with me to solve this. The creditors keep reporting as if the accounts are new. What can I do to correct this? Chapter 7 seems the only relieve I have. Total debt is $22,000 est.

Most Helpful Response

Unpaid accounts stay on your credit report for 7 years from date of first delinquency or 7 years from date it was paid off, whichever is later.  If these accounts are older than that, dispute them with all three credit bureaus and the collectors. You can dispute online at www.annualcreditreport.com.  When you dispute, the bureaus will send you more info about the accounts, such as date they were opened and when last payment was.  Use that info to continue your disputes with them.  Be persistent, it takes time to get them removed.  Don't let them blow you off until you have all the correct information showing up on your credit reports.  If you encounter problems, you can file complaints with the CFPB (www.consumerfinance.gov) and the FTC (ftc.gov), sometimes that helps.  Also, visit www.credit.about.com and on the lower left of the page, click on "Consumer Bankruptcy".  Tons of great info at that website and you don't have to sign up for it.  Best of luck, hang in there!