Question

power2power

Recently Deceased Ex Husband's Collection on Water Bill Now Shows derogatory on MY credit report
My former husband deceased in August of 2013. A bill from Stellar Recovery, submitted from a county water system , was forwarded to my new address, addressed "To the Estate Of....". I left a message to the effect that I don't know who is responsible nor know who the executor of the estate is , and that he was deceased. His name is on the bill, not mine. Why was it reported on my credit and how can I get it removed? Do I have any legal rights here? Being divorced for nearly 10 years before his death, I am not responsible for any debts in his name.
Thank you for your help.

You are absolutely correct and it sounds like these cretins are just trying to get money from whomever they can.  If they call you again, tell them not to contact you any more and this is not your debt.  You don't need to prove a thing to them.  If they still call, then go online to the FTC and to consumerfinance.gov and file complaints against them.  Also, go to www.annualcreditreport.com and dispute the account with all three credit bureaus.  Be persistent and don't let them mess you up.  These old debt purchasers are scum of the earth.  Best of luck!