Question

mustang814

Recent Credit Breach
I recently tried to access my American Express Card's website and was greeted with a "pop-up" asking for all of my personal information, include SSN, DOB, email. I answered these questions thinking it was a legitimate "pop-up", but after calling American Express learned it was a scam. I'm extremely nervous about having someone steal my previously secure information and was thrilled to see your "free" CreditKarma service. Do you have any recommendations for me? What if I do see strange activity on my credit report - what would I do? Thanks!

Credit Breach, YIKES!!!

Oh, how I hate the pop-ups!! Very annoying and potentially dangerous.

Since you notified American Express, I'm surprised they did not offer you information on fraud alert which would be on credit bureau sites to notify you if anyone tried opening an account in your name. 

Since they didn't, I'd suggest contacting the Social Security Administration and notifying them of this breach.  They would have ideas on how to protect yourself. 

Keep a sharp eye on your credit reports and notify each of the credit reporting agencies of this breach.  They may be able to put the fraud alert in place.

Don't think I have to say this, but don't promptly answer anything that asks for critical personal information.  Verify the need for it by contacting the company first.  And, before entering such infoirmation, make sure the site has an https: address and that it matches the company.

Hope this situation is cleared in your favor right away with noi damage to your credit rating.