Question

scaryscore

questions about when you should ask for things to be removed
I have medical bills that the statute of limitations are up. They are on my credit report can I ask for them to be removed since they are no longer a valid debt? They are from 2009 and I had insurance, but this is the first time I looked at my credit report in a very long time and there is another spelling of my first name on here that I have never used and an address I never lived at ....so im not sure where or who these bills came from or if I should contact the hospital to ask for an itemized statement but I don't want It to start all over again if it will come off in another year....cause I don't see anything else that wasn't mine on the credit report.

Any inaccurate information should be disputed with the credit bureaus reporting it. If there are incorrect names and addresses and you don't believe the accounts are yours, then I would dispute them. As far as the accounts that are yours, keep in mind that Statute of Limitations is something different than Credit Reporting Time Periods and the SOL in your state does not affect the 7 year Credit Reporting Time Period. Do some reading on "early exclusion" when you get close to the fall off dates. Also, I want you to be aware that when you dispute an old account that hasn't updated in a while, it will update if it remains after the dispute process and that update will cause a decrease in your scores as it looks like a fresh negative. If you are lucky though and the dispute is found in your favor then the account may be deleted without any update to worry about. Also understand that the credit reporting time period cannot be reset unless you would enter into some type of payment plan agreement and fail to make your payments, then there is a possibility of resetting it. All in all though, typically a credit reporting time period cannot be reset.