Question

avrnrgy

Public record question
I have a public record on my report. It is date 10/29/09. To my knowledge, these fall off your report after 7 years. I realize that we are only a couple of days past 7 years but I plan on purchasing a home in the next 3 months and this coming off would be a great help. Should I start to dispute it or am I just being too impatient?

Most Helpful Response

Officially, per FCRA 605 (a)...

(3)  Paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than seven years. 

-

So technically it's 7 years from the date it's paid not from when it's filled, but Credit Bureaus do at times remove them in 7 years from when it's filed...Either way, the public record doesn't get expunged on its own nor it has reportable time limit on the court/public record, meaning even tho they are no longer on your credit report but when mortgage companies do a record search and most likely they will, those will pop up. I still have public records shown from 1996.

More information

I should add that this is a Tax Lien