Question

BurritoBandito

Paying off credit card while $0 is due
Currently I am ahead on my payments. My credit statement says total minimum payment due is $0.00. Is my credit score positively effected if I pay off most of what I owe even though their is no minimum payment due yet?

Most Helpful Response

It says 0 due as the minimum because a payment was posted or a credit was applied above the minimum due before the closing date but I'm assuming you are still carrying a balance. The lower the balance, the better score you will have. If the amount due at the statement closing date is 10% of your credit limit, that is great. 

A $0 minimum payment due does not necessarily mean a higher score. Let's say my balance is 2000 and my credit limit is 5000 and my minimum payment due is $25 a month and I make a $25 payment a week before the statement is printed. When the statement is mailed to me, it'll show I owe $0 this month but my balance would be $1975 or 40%, which is kind of high.

Is that accurate? If it there is no minimum due, but your statement shows a balance, doesn't that show usage? Wouldn't "they" look at the % of your balance to your available credit, and not just what the minimum due is...? 

You will actually hurt your credit score some because, by paying when there is nothing due, you will end up showing zero usage, and usage counts.  Please read the articles so you can learn more about credit and build yours up.  Credit Karma was established just for that purpose--to help people learn about and use credit wisely so it works for them.