Question

GPLANTE1

Pay what 1st? Please.
As of 22 Jan 13 My mortgage is paid off. I have a credit card, $1650.00 @ 8.90 fixed and another one that's $2400.00 @ 18.99. My home equity is $2300.00 @6.24. My payment is 224.00 and from the start Dec 1986.I have paid 300.00 a month. I have about 13 months left. What should I pay first? How is paying off all these bills going to effect my credit? Thanks in advance for your help.
Gary

Most Helpful Response

Always pay your minimum payments (for obvious reasons) on all of your accounts, and then just make any additional payments you can afford onto the highest interest rate account, no matter what the balance is. In this case, pay off your 18.99% credit card before you do anything else.

Your score will improve over time from lower utilization and more on-time payments. If it's damaged now due to high utilization and previous nonpayment, you'll see a big jump; otherwise, it will just improve a little.