Question

Nashvegas0717

Pay apartment debt directly or settle with collector?
An apartment complex I lived in before moving a year ago charged me for carpet replacement in my old unit and it's now showing in collections on my credit report. I have received a settlement offer of 50% of the debt from the collections agency. I may be trying to get another apartment later this year and it's possible that any potential landlords could call this complex to check out my rental history. I always paid my rent on time - this is the only negative mark in my history. Would it be better to take the settlement offer/possibly send a Pay For Delete offer to the collections agency, or pay the whole debt to the complex directly?

the first thing you should do is get in writing how much you owe and then get how much they will sttle with you for. once that is done make demands for them to have the collections taken off once you have paid them the settlement. get everything in writing so even if you get another apartment and its still on there give them all the paperwork saying you paid the previous apartment and you have no debt with them.

paying to the agency is better because they are the ones that put the collection on your account it takes longer if you go through the apartment and they wont settle.