Question

blatraterlit

Own or rent? Which is better for your credit rating?
I would like to know which is better for your credit rating overall. Is it better to have a $105,000 mortgage or is it better to rent? If I rent I won't have $105,000 house loan anymore and that would improve my debt:income ratio. But on the other hand does having a mortgage show more stability?

Most Helpful Response

Better to have the mortgage, because your rental payments do not show up on your credit report.  Also, any time you close out an account (such as a mortgage, credit card or auto loan) your score drops because you've lost a line of credit, and you've lost that credit history.    Your debt-to-income ratio is not part of your credit score.

Thank you, but...

Oh ok, that makes sense. But wouldn't owing less money help my credit rating overall anyway? I ask because I disagree a little on the part about saying that debt-to-income ratio doesn't affect my credit. I tried to refinance my 6.75% mortgage loan and I kept getting turned down because of my ratio; which was why I was trying to refinance in the first place. I even tried a loan modification but because I wasn't behind on my payments no one would help me lower my interest rate. Seems you can't get help if you aren't delinquent.