Question

tavalon49

Obviously trying to increase my credit score
I made a mistake 2 weeks ago. I chose to get a card that I thought had an introductory 0 APR on transfers. Well, it apparently didn't, but it did have a $39 a year membership fee, something else I missed. I really need to take screen shots of these offers, because I'm doubting the company on both things . Anyway, I called and tried to sweet talk them out of the fee since I'm a long term customer with another account. No go. The nice fellow said if I closed the account, the fee would be reimbursed (yes, I wrote his name and all pertinent info) so I closed the account. Two questions. One, was closing an account within the same month a bad thing for my credit and second, would it be best to wait before I apply for my Credit Unions card which has all of the things I want and don't want?

Most Helpful Response

good news is your credit history won't go down atm bad news is you got a hard inquiry for nothing if it has only been a few days since you applied ie: around 7 days then I would strongly suggest you go for the CU card you want because you allowed 2 weeks to window shop in between getting cards and it will only show up as 1 inquiry other wise i'd suggest waiting 6 months improve your score in the mean time and apply for what you want at that time apply too soon for a 2nd card after apply for a previous one makes you look desperate and places are less likly too issue a card but the cooldown period is only 6 months between even though the inquiry is present on your report for 2 years

tavalon49

Yep, I think you are right on all counts. You cleared up aspects of my plan that were hazy. I looked back and realized that I actually did apply for a card that did have a 15 month no APR for balance transfers and no yearly fee. It's a card that is listed here twice. Once with the above and once with the heinous APR and no balance transfer option and the fee.

So, I applied for one and they gave me the other. Is that okay? Do I have any legal recourse for this bait and switch. BTW, both the cards are identical in their "quick" silver color but they are not the same.

I have no need for any more credit at this time, so I think the 6 month cool down period is a stellar idea (no shopping for cards while on ambien. LOL), I'm looking to get my new car, if I don't wreck it, in about 1-2 years. So, It's not like this has to happen right now.

It was dumb to get my panties in a wad and ditch the card so quickly. I aimed that trigger  right at my own foot. I would have kept the card if they just moved the yearly fee to 6-12 months out. Alas, I realize now that had I used it as a grocery card and paid it off monthly, the 1.5% money back would have covered their stupid fee. Aargh.

Thanks for your thoughtful help.