Question

pinsetta

Number of Accounts vs. Length of Credit History
I only have a total of 9 accounts with an average credit history of just over 5 years. If I open additional accounts in order to increase my number of accounts, this will reduce my average credit history length. Which is better to improve my credit score?

Most Helpful Response

Here's how your FICO is calculated:  35% is payment history, 30% is utilization, 15% is credit history (age of accounts), 10% is mix of credit and 10% is inquiries.  Opening another account will cause a small dip due to inquiry, and possibly a dip due to utilization (can't say without seeing your full report).  If you open additional accounts, make sure they are a different type than what you already have and you can reap the 10% mix of credit benefit to offset the inquiry.  Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer, but here's a great, easy to use website that may help you decide:  www.credit.about.com.  Best of luck!