Question

emvelez09

No credit card just owe bills that went into collections.
How do I deal with these collector when I get them on the phone? I am trying to get settlements for the lowest rate.

Most Helpful Response

Don't pay them a DIME!

If your original creditor sold your debt to a collection agency, they also wrote off your debt on their taxes which wrote off your obligation to pay. You can dispute the transaction via dispute.transunion.com (along with any other collection agency owned items lingering on your report). Your dispute reason is "contract was cancelled" and write "NO CONTRACT" in the dispute comments. I have cleared THOUSANDS off my own report and have been working to help my friends and family do the same! for FREE! Peace and love to all! Knowledge is power! :)

Does this work for all debts that have gone to collection?

lumbarant

I had some doubts, but I tried what you suggested. It worked! Transunion removed the entry within a few days and sent me a clean credit report.

I though I'd try the same approach with the other 2 credit beaureus. It was a little trickier, sinc they don't have the "contract was cancelled" option. However, I just looked for options that were somewhat similar. I think Experian had some kind of "invalid contract" option. Equifax didn't have anything obvious, so I selected some kind of catchall "other" option. (sorry, can't remember exactly what they were). Then I added the "NO CONTRACT" in the free-form text, or the combo "Contract was cancelled - NO CONTRACT". It took a little longer, but both of them removed the entry without me doing anything else.

kjamie

Thank you!

Have you had any success with the other credit agencies? The options for disputing varies according to the account or inquiry on each agency..  I'm also curious, how did you find this way to dispute the information? It seems that it works for all other users on here, including me.

discobarbie

NO. WAY. This worked (for Experian so far)  All 6 collections DELETED.  They were all between $90-$250 each.  I'm almost done paying my debt off, so my next focus was to  figure the best route to deal with these collections.  That's when I came across this post and figured it couldn't hurt.  I'm waiting for the results from TransUnion & Experian.  I just wrote 'no contract' in the comments if that wasn't an option and made the logical selection of the choices.  Thanks!!

jmd3604

So I just No contracted mine with transunion. How long will it take to see if i will work for me? also what the website to do this for experian and equifax?

nh90

Hello. Have you had success with experian and equifax? If so can you provide the script and selections used per bureau? Thank you so much!

peachblossomlove

I know this is an old post but thank you soooo much for this advice!!! I was able to get 4 old collection accounts off my credit report!! I was about to pay them off completely but thought I'd better do my research first. Well, I disputed the accounts with all 3 bureaus all with "No Contract" as my reasoning. I checked my Credit Karma account today and got the notification 4 accounts had been removed! You saved me thousands of dollars!!! Thanks again! 

peachblossomlove

Oh and my accounts were removed from both TransUnion and Equifax. Not sure on Experian but will run my credit report again in about a month and check.

Get your information first

First, make sure you’re dealing with a legitimate debt and collector.  Tell them that you are interested in resolving your debt equitably, but you need information first. 

Get this info:

·         Get the name of the person you are talking with

·         The name, address, telephone number, and fax number of the collection company

·         The name, address, telephone number, account number, and fax number of the original creditor

·         Get the total amount of the debt owed and the detail behind it (Amount, interest, late charges, fees, etc)

DO NOT admit the debt is legitimate or agree to any type of payment plan

Don’t agree to give them a bank account number or even acknowledge that the debt is legitimate.  Kind of like getting one of those photo speeding tickets…you may agree to make the payment, but don’t admit that it’s legit.  If you do, you may find that collector using those statements against you.  Just keep telling them that you are interested in resolving the situation.

Immediately you need to verify the debt.  You have a limited time to dispute the debt after first contact in writing, so don’t delay.  If you don’t request verification and/or dispute within 30 days, your options will be severely limited.  You need to send the request for verification and/or dispute of the debt in writing so you can prove you did it within the timeline.  Send it by a traceable method (I’d use USPS Priority mail, it’s cheap and provides proof of delivery).  At a minimum, this will hold up the collection until the verification is provided.  Often the debt has been sold with little information proving the debt and in this case will push the collector to offer a sweetheart deal to settle (like $.05 on the dollar) or may eliminate it altogether.  If they can’t provide the information on the debt at all, you can simply argue that you don’t owe the debt at all.

Final notes, make sure you do all of this in writing with the collector.  Tell them that you want to resolve the situation but you can’t do it over the phone and need everything to be communicated in mail.  (This will stem the collection calls)

What if you the collection agency will not give you anything in writing.  I feel very strongly about getting things in writing.  They never seem to be willing to cooperate with me.

Hope So!

I hope so because I have 2 large hospital bills on my credit and would love them removed. My daughter father didn't have insurance for the 6 months my daughter was with him and they let him put the bills in my name. SMH! Let me know if disputing the hospital bill works for you. Thanks in advance. 

NO. WAY.

This worked (for Experian so far)  All 6 collections DELETED.  They were all between $90-$250 each.  I'm almost done paying my debt off, so my next focus was to  figure the best route to deal with these collections.  That's when I came across this post and figured it couldn't hurt.  I'm waiting for the results from TransUnion & Experian.  I just wrote 'no contract' in the comments if that wasn't an option and made the logical selection of the choices.  Thanks!!

Mrs.

I am reading all the advice given pertaining to "contract was cancelled" & NO CONTRACT. Can you also do this with utility & cable bills if they are owned by collection agencies?

Already paying?

What if you have already made an agreement to pay a collector that contacted you thru work or filed a suit against you? Can you still dispute as no contract to remove  from credit report?

Okay so for example for me it says "original creditor" valley presbyterian hospital, and in the "collection agency" section it says California Business Bureau. Does that mean they sold my debt and I can dispute this debt?