Question

CCAnton

New resident. No credit score yet. Should I cause an inquiry just to get the credit file opened?
Have an SSN, had a secured card for more than a year. Now it's gone un-secured which is good but still no credit file (Try to login to CreditKarma and no credit file can be found). From reading posts by others I understand that once there's an actual inquiry for my credit and they can't find an existing file they'll open one and I'll actually have a score. Q is, should I intentionally cause an inquiry for that to happen or should I just wait more time? The way I see it, no inquiries is good and eventually when I do have a score it'll be higher the less inquiries I have. Does this time (without a score\file) even count for that matter?

Also, If I should cause an inquiry, better to cause a soft one, right? Any advice where to "cause" it?

Thanks!

Please take the time to read the information on this site so you can learn how credit really works and how to build a good credit score.  This is vaqluable informaqtion that will benefit you[ for the rest of your life,

CCAnton

Hi Jwsister, thanks for replying.

Read lots on this site, nerdwallet, Dan's deals. I know how to improve my credit... But that's when I actually have a score :)

I'm actually before that phase. I'll try to explain better.
Since I just got an SSN six months ago my credit is brand new. Already started with a secured credit card (as recommend for better credit) but the actual credit file is only created when someone's looking for it, i.e. an inquiry. Then, after not finding a file linked to my SSN, a file will be initially created for me.

Since less inquiries as possible is better for the credit score, I'm asking:
Should I intentionally cause an inquiry (ask for a loan, get a new credit card) or since I don't really need anything now, better to wait until I actually need something.
If a year passes without any inquiry it's better for my credit, but does it actually count if my file hasn't been created yet?

When they calculate (no. of accounts, history, utilization) my credit score, it'll probably take into account all my details, so no need to cause an inquiry now...
Right?

Thanks again!
Anton