Question

JJ08GTS

New debt collector, extremely old debt - can it go on my credit?
I've had a debt collector come out of nowhere in the past few days trying to collect on a debt from an account that was closed 12 years ago.

Now back that long ago I was a teenager that didn't give a dang about credit, so for all I know it could have already gone onto and back off of my credit report, but I'm not 100% sure. But considering how it was from a cell phone company, there's probably a safe bet that it did.

Regardless of that detail, can this go onto my credit report being that old of a debt?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Most Helpful Response

Past Collection Accounts

Hi JJ,

Sometimes this does happen when an account is sold/transferred to another collection company, and cell phone companies do this frequently. Since the debt is over 10 years old it cannot be reported on your credit bureau as it is a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, but these things happen frequently. I would find out which of the bureaus are reporting this account and then place a dispute on it for being too old. The bureaus have 30 days to research this and prove the debt is too old and they will remove it.

You can also try contacting the debt collector, however make it clear you have no intention of paying this debt and you are telling them the account is too old and to remove it from your report and stop contacting you to collect it.