Question

orangeslice

Negative removed but lowered score.. WHY?

Negative removed but lowered score.. WHY

I recently hired Lexington Law firm to help me with removing negative items from my report. Within days three negative items (2) Collections - that were fully paid and (1) Chargeoff were taken from my Transunion report and will most likely be removed from Equifax and Experian. I checked my report on Credit Karma to see that instead of my Transunion report going up it went down 11 points?? WHY??? I thought removing bad stuff was good?

jerrasic

I had a similar experience a couple weeks ago. I had a collection account, so I sent a validation letter to them, and in days they removed the collection, which was great! On the same day, my TU score dropped 79pts, yikes! The others weren't affected but a few points. I don't know why, but my guess is, the account had to be listed as a current, fresh collection before they removed it. That's just a blind guess, though.

Now, on a positive note, a week later, my scores are all back up to basically the same place they were within a few points. So, I'd say be a little patient and see if it rebounds in the next few weeks.

If you have FICO scores, check them to see what they did.