Question

Chas4700

Negative accounts on my credit report after 7 years. ??
My understanding was that after 7 years negative remarks were supposed to be removed from your credit report or am I supposed to write a letter to the credit bureau.

Most Helpful Response

I would write if the date is close enough or past to the credit bureau. My understanding also is 7 years, and I have a few scheduled to come off next year that are barely 7 years in age. Dispute them for sure, it would not hurt anything.

7 years and 180 days after DOFD, aka Date of First Delinquency. If the time you saw it on your credit score was after 7 years but before 7 years and 180 days have passed after you were first delinquent, then it is allowed on your credit score. If 7 years and 180 days have passed, then dispute the account on that CRA.