Question

AnonynForThis

My Info is on Ex's Credit Report
I recently received an ex fiancee's credit report that was mailed to my fathers home where my ex & I had lived together for about 2 months roughly 6.5 years ago. My elderly father opened it thinking it was for him (we haven't heard from nor spoken to this ex in 6 years) and I was alarmed to learn that addresses that I have lived at post-breakup are showing up on his report. I called the credit reporting agency that had sent the report and told them there was a discrepancy, but they were unable to help me since it was not my report. I am trying not to contact this ex as the relationship ended badly, and I have security concerns over the possibility that he may inadvertently obtain my new address simply by running his credit. What can I do? I am assuming this address may be linked to an old account that we may have shared, but I can't recall us sharing anything other than apartment rental applications/background checks. Is there an easier way to find out where the link may be other than calling every closed account on my credit report and hoping that I can get in contact with them? And if the account is closed, is there any chance that my new information can still be pulled up? I've checked my credit report and nothing seems amiss.. nothing about him on my end, just vice versa.

Most Helpful Response

My guess from my own experiances says that you both had some forms of credit together when you were together.  As long as any of those accounts remain open then they will not release you from those lines of credit, no matter if they are credit cards, home/car loans. So even if they are closed now but were open within the past 7-10 (7 if bad reports 10 if good) years, those creditors will use/keep any and all information on file incase of a default.  Quite often they end reporting all adresses for anyone associated with that line of credit so I have seen it mix up as to what adress belongs to which person.

My advice is to make sure that any and all credit/loans you guys shared is closed. Keep an eye on your report to make sure nothing new gets added to yours that you did not do, and wait until the 7-10 is up.  I am not sure there is anything you can do about stuff on his credit files even if it worries you a lot.

AnonynForThis

Thank you! I think I found the account in question - but haven't been able to get in touch with them (a store credit card that is also overseen by my bank). The card closed in 2012 due to inactivity, thankfully. I'll be keeping an eye on it and monitoring regularly thanks to Credit Karma. I appreciate your response!!