Question

houseofchapp

My credit score is 586. I would like to raise it!!! HELP!
I have had my home foreclosed on and 3 judgments (credit cards all 3 total about $10,000.) against me. Thankfully they have not garnished my wages....yet. It has been since 2011 on the first judgment and the other 2 came in 2012. Where do I start when trying to repair my credit? Do I start by paying off the judgments? If so, do I call the collection company and ask what is the lowest they will take as a complete payoff/deletion? What is the lowest they accept? I heard once that it was .33 cents on the dollar. Is that true? Or, since I have a judgment does that mean that they have already decided that I MUST pay what the judge ordered?
I am so lost in all of this. Any help/knowledge is appreciated.

Most Helpful Response

I strongly suggest reading the articles under RESOURCES at the left side of the page so you can learn how credit works and how to build and maintain good credit.  Foreclosure and judgements are very negative marks on your credit score.  The judgements are a legal action taken by a creditor in a court proceeding and judgements can be renewed until paid in full if the creditor so desires.  They are unlikely to work on a settlement after a judgement.  They might have if the bill had gone to collectiions. So, yes, you have to begin paying off your debts.