Question

nasevo8

My Auto Loan is no longer on my credit report
I have a difficult question that no one has been able to assist me with so far. I purchased a car in April 2010. I was making my monthly payments and everything was fine. Around 2012 I started going through financial hardship so I decided to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy. Keep in mind, at that time, I owed around $20,000 to the bank for the auto loan. When I filed for chapter 7, my lawyer asked me if I would like to keep my car and continue to make my monthly payments, and I said yes. He also told me, after the bankruptcy is complete, if for some reason I couldn't make payments for my car, I can give my car back to the bank and I will not owe any money on it (That was in the chapter 7 plan) I was told by my lawyer.

6 months after my bankruptcy was completed, I got into a car accident. unfortunately, I had some issues with my auto insurance and it turned out I was not covered at all. My auto insurance policy coverage had expired the night before. So I was on my own. My car.got towed to a local tow yard in town. I did not have money to pick my car up from the tow yard. They wanted $1200 so I said forget it. However, I called my bank and informed them of what had occured, I also gave them the name of the tow yard so my bank could pick up the car. (I did not want the tow yard to place a lien on my vehicle) Anyway, the bank never listened to me and never bothered about the car. By that time, the car had been at the tow yard for 30 days. So the tow yard became the owners of my car and they sold it to an individual, and the individual registered the car under his name So anyway, since then, I cannot find any traces of my car loan on my credit report. I checked all credit bureaus and nothing even indicates I even got a loan . It basically looks like if I never got the auto loan. And I never recieved any bills or phone calls from the bank or from any collection agency asking for their money (which was $18,000 that I still owed for the car at the time of the acccident). I called my lawyer, but i couldn't get a hold of him because he retired. I checked my credit report but nothing indicates that my auto loan ever existed. I thought maybe the bank changed its name or the bank was sold or gone, but the bank is still there and nothing changed. I do not want to call my bank because I'm scared that they might tell me it was a mistake and ask for their money back.

So please help me, I would greatly appreciate it, thank you.

Most Helpful Response

I don't see waht the problem is.  You don't want it on your reports given what you described.

nasevo8

My question is, do I still owe money for my car or was my loan wiped off because I did not reaffirm when I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy?