Question

cokerrr

Medical Debt Collectors
I recently checked my credit report and noticed I had 9 accounts in collections from Amerisol/Amerifinicial Solutions for $2945. Instead of researching first, my first instinct was to called the collectors and make a payment arrangement for $2400. I spoke to several agents and was told something different each time. I spoke to someone this morning and she quoted a lower amount owed than the first person did. The first person said I owed $3000+ but had to pay the minimum of $2400. And the person from this morning said I only owed $2683.

Although I agree to pay a certain amount, do you think it could be adjusted because the first person gave me the wrong amount owed? Also these are old medical debts dated back to 2009-2011. According to Equinox, some were last reported in 2011 so they are going to start falling off of my credit report this year.

Do you think it was wise for me to pay the collectors? Do you think I should've let them fall off of credit report without paying them?

I don't know anything about credit so please help me.

Most Helpful Response

Never attempt to negotiate anything via phone because you have no record of what one person said and the next person will say something different.  ALWAYS do negotiations in writing!!!  Depending on what state you live in, the statute of limitations on collections may have passed on some of these dates meaning, you don't have to pay them.  In some states that is as short as 4 years from the date the debt first became overdue.  Debts may still show on your credit reports for 7 years, but may not be collectable.

Although you agreed to make the payments and the 'phone drone' possibly noted that in the computer, you still do not have proof of what was said.  Do this NOW!! Get copies of all three credit reports from annualcreditreport.com so you can see the information on these debts.  The reports should say when the debt will be falling off the credit reports and when the 'date of last activity' was (as in last payment).  Do a Google search of the statute of Limitations for collections and find out what it is in your state. Any debt that is too old for collections gets deducted from the total claimed by the collectors. Any debt that is close to that SOL, write to the collector and offer them 50% of that amount based on the pending expiration of the SOL for collections, and that you want the debt deleted from your credit report when payment is received.. Anything that is still within the SOL and won't be falling off quickly, offer them 75%. Again, tell them you want the debt removed from your credit report when it is paid. With all negotiations, give them 20 days from receiptof the letter to respons.  You will be sending these letters via certified mail,return receipt requested and you will keep copiies of all correspondence (and the cards you get back) for your records.

Sounds like a lot of work, right?  But isn't saving money worth it?  I think so.

sorry for the typos I meant Equifax*******

medical debt

being that old I would have rode it out. You could have opened you up a can of worms calling those old bills. Expect the phone to rbe ringing.